Create a message template for e-mail and SMS
In order to have the Glide system automatically send messages (both e-mail and SMS messages) for you, you shall first need to have created message templates.
To create a new message template follow these steps:
- Click on the menu labelled with the firm name. This is in the blue menu bar just to the left of the Workflows menu.
- Click on the Messaging Centre option. If you can't see this check this setting.
- You shall see 3 tabs across the screen; Messaging Centre, Options and Template Editor. Click on Template Editor.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen where you shall see buttons to create new templates for each of your workflow systems and also to create new Client Templates. Click on the appropriate button e.g. New Management Accounts template. There is guidance below as to when you would use a job template vs a general client template.
- Enter a message subject if you plan to use this template for sending E-mail messages. Do not enter a subject for SMS messages as a subject can not be sent. Note that you can include fields in the subject line, just add them to the message then cut and paste into the subject line.
- Click into the body of the message and type the message, include fields by selecting them from the range of drop down menus. See our top tips below too for best practice.
- Click Create to save the template.
- If you have created a job template this template will now be available when you are creating a new workflow action or alert to send e-mails or SMS messages. If you have created a new general client template this will be available when sending general e-mails to clients for example through the bulk e-mail sender.
General template tips:
You can see tips specifically in relation to fields here.
Job template vs Client template:
If you are looking for a message to be sent in relation to a job for example by a workflow action when a job progresses through a step or by an alert based upon a certain proximity to a deadline or the job date then you need a template that is specific to that workflow system. These templates will allow you to use fields that are specific to the job such as the job date (Year End, VAT Quarter end etc) target or actual dates for the stages, the job fields and deadlines.
If you wish to be able to e-mail a client(s) in a way that is totally unrelated to any specific job then you need a Client template. These templates are not able to pull in data from jobs such as job dates and deadlines. These templates can be sent at any time to any client without the need to be triggered by a specific job. An example may be that a new payroll legislation comes out and you wish to be able to e-mail all clients/contacts tagged as Payroll, you can do this via a client template without worrying about having a payroll job.
Copy / paste:
If you are looking to copy and paste from a program such as word please be sure to paste as plain text. If you paste normally you will be pasting code/html into the background of the template which can effect sending.
If you are gong to send a message externally then your e-mail messages will likely be subject to several spam filters, this can be at an ISP (Internet service provider) level and locally by your customers firewall and mail servers. You need to take care to avoid your messages being rejected. We recommend you avoid subject lines with excess capital letters, unusual characters such as explanation marks and question marks.