Using the Excel import tool to supplement the initial Digita sync
When you have set up the Digita integration and it has run for the first time all of your active clients will have been imported into Glide along with all of the client data that is imported as standard. In addition the connector will have used the Companies House API to collect data about the client. You may at this point have bulk created all of those Accounts/CT and Confirmation Statement jobs that have auto creation dates in the past, you can do this using the bulk job creation tool, this is possible because the first job date will have been obtained from Companies House.
At this point we would recommend using the Excel import tool to import any other data that you have available that does not come in from Digita. This is to avoid the need to enter it manually. You can use the Excel tool to import any client level data into Glide. In order of likely importance this would include:
- Setting whether each recurring workflow system should be active or inactive on each client.
- Providing the 1st job date for each client for each recurring workflow systems (e.g. VAT, management accounts, payroll etc).
- Allocating clients to a route, where you have > 1 route variation on a recurring workflow system.
- Any other client fields you have setup.
Here's how to use the Excel import tool for this task:
- Click on the Config menu (note you'll need to be a superuser).
- Click on Import clients.
- Click on the Download spreadsheet icon, choose the option Spreadsheet with data.
- This will download the spreadsheet to your device, note that the spreadsheet is an Excel file (not a csv file) and you should keep the file in this format for the import to work. Open the spreadsheet.
- Whenever updating clients using the Excel tool we recommend you read this best practice guidance.
- Enter the data that you wish to import, in this case the fields are likely to be blank (because they did not come in via the Digita sync).
- Specifically we recommend those settings mentioned above (system active y/n, route setting, 1st job date). You can refer to the PDF guidance and the video (below) for more guidance on how to enter the data for these fields.
- Save the Excel sheet (be sure to keep in .xls or .xlsx format, don't change to .csv).
- Click on the I have completed the spreadsheet. Continue to next step button.
- Click on the Select completed spreadsheet button, find the file on your device and click open.
- The system will confirm how many clients are to be created and updated (TIP: Your clients are created via the Digita connector so you should not be creating any clients at this point, if Glide suggests you are then you may have duplicated a UniqueID, see these tips) and will show a preview of the data. If you wish to make changes click Cancel otherwise you can click Confirm spreadsheet import. At this point data will be imported into the system.
- You will then see the data that has been imported. You can optionally click on Create jobs to bulk create jobs, this is recommended where you have imported dates to trigger fields that will give rise to past auto creation dates. In this scenario this is likely to be the case an so we recommend you do this.