Send data to a Slack channel using webhooks and Zapier
You can send data to Slack automatically using Glide's workflow actions and the Zapier integration platform.
- From your Zapier dashboard click on the orange Make a Zap button towards the top right of the screen.
- For Choose a trigger App select the built in App called Webhooks.
- Select Catch hook and then click Save + continue.
- You don't need to pick off a child key so click Continue.
- Click Copy to clipboard to copy the Webhook URL.
- Click on the Config menu (remember you'll need to be a superuser to do this).
- Click on Edit workflow systems.
- Drill into the relevant workflow system by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of the name.
- Click on the workflow routes tab.
- Scroll down to the route that you wish to add the action to, find the appropriate workflow step (e.g. Sent to client etc) and click Create new action.
- Select the Send data to a webhook workflow action, paste the URL (from Zapier) and give the action a title. Click save.
- Find an existing job or create a new one and progress through the step onto which you have added the action (e.g. Sent to client). This will trigger the workflow action.
- Switch back to the Zapier window. Click on the OK I did this button to confirm you have triggered the test.
- Glide queues the data and sends every 60 seconds therefore allow for a small delay before Zapier confirms the test is successful. Once it has click Continue.
- Next choose an Action App for your 1st Action step (you need at least 1 but could have multiple). For my tutorial I have selected Slack.
- I already both have a Slack account and have linked it to my Zapier account, if you haven't you'll need to do both of these first.
- On the Select Slack Action page I have chosen Send Channel message. Click Save + continue.
- Select the relevant Slack account then click Save + continue.
- You must select a Slack Channel and enter the message text, everything else is optional. In the message text you can combine text with data from your Glide system by clicking on the + icon in the top right corner of the message text entry box. Click Continue.
- Click Send test to Slack and check your Slack channel to see the test info. Click Finish.
- Name your Zap, switch it on and you are up and running with Glide -> Slack integration.
The following information is currently provided by Glide in the Send data to a webhook workflow action:
- Source (information about what event or step in Glide triggered the workflow action).
- The name and code of every sub-system active on the job.
- The client name and the Glide ID number.
- The name of the workflow system and the system ID.
- For every active sub-system the route name, current stage (post step if applicable) and the current holder.
You can also watch a demonstration in this video: